Please take some time to read over the following Studio Policies and expectations. When things are running smoothly your teachers time, energy, and attention are able to be focused on the class and its students.
- Create an Account (Sign-In)= Letting Mapleford know who you are and what classes you are interested in taking.
- Registration = Getting into a class and making a payment. Choosing a class day, time, and make payment via a registration form on our website or in studio. The registration payment is a package of materials, tuition, and fees for a Level or a Collection in The Music Class ®.
- Quarter Tuition = Is due on or before the first class meeting of your continuing Quarter after your first Quarters registration. Our Quarters run Fall, Winter, and Spring. Some classes continue meeting through the summer. Summers have reduced class meeting days and the tuition will reflect the fewer class meetings.
- Session = Length of time which a class meets within a Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer Quarter.
- Segment = a 4 week option in our Music Pups classes.
- Class = a specific topic, in one session, which meets 1 time a week for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Class Section = An individual class day, time, level, and teacher in a session.
Free Trial Class- a "Try-It" Class. All classes are open for a free visit with participation if a seat is available. If no seat is available you may observe the class.
From time to time we offer a week of "Try-It" classes. We open a number of new level 1 classes a week for students to Try a class for one meeting. You may let us know your coming or drop in at class time.
Mapleford Studio has open enrollment. New students are accepted at any time but Registration and placement into a class depends on availability of a level 1 class. We encourage you to contact us and get on a wait list for a class!
Each type of class is on a quarterly Session. Our Registration always includes a package of: one quarter of tuition; materials for the quarter (and for some classes the entire 3 quarter year or for other classes one level spanning multi-quarters.); materials; shipping; taxes; and processing fees. Please note that materials we order for the students, we must buy for the entire level so we are passing through this requirement to the student. So as you register for a level 1 class you are buying all level 1 needed materials in the First Quarter which will be use possibly over the entire year or level.
- For Music Pups ® registration is open until the 3rd week of each session. Classes are offered every Session with a new collection of music! We have 12 Collections of new music learning for our Pups. Tuition, not materials or fees, will be pro-rated. All class fees include: Tuition; Books; Cd; Materials; and all processing Fees.
- For our classes which have levels, new student Registration is limited to the first weeks of a level 1 class.
- We are able to have level 1 classes in our At the Keys and At the Guitar classes begin each quarterly session. Please contact us and request to be on a wait list for the class you want!
- The Music for Young Children Level 1 classes are only able to begin in Fall to January 9. These classes are Sunshine, Sunbeams, Moonbeams, and My Choice which are our conservatory styled classes. Please contact us and request to be on a wait list for the class for which you are interested.
Each type of class is on a Quarterly Session. The Leveled classes have materials which are used in 2 to 3 Quarters and so require tuition payments in the additional Quarters for which the materials are planed to cover.
Students and parents may contact by phone, web page contact, or email to schedule a Free Trial Class- a Try-It Class. All classes are open for a free visit with participation if a seat is available. If no seat is available you may observe the class. We value the opportunity to meet with potential students and parents to discuss questions that you may have concerning music study.
From time to time we offer a month of "Try-It" classes. We open a number of new level 1 classes for one month for students to Try a class for one meeting or for the month. We do charge a $10 fee for each class meeting per student only in "Try-It months". You may let us know your coming or drop in at class time.
Cancellations: Missed Class, Weather, Holidays
Our preference is to maintain consistent instruction for students. We will post on the Mapleford Studio web page and Facebook page our status in winter weather. If we are open in winter weather in which you are uncomfortable with the road conditions we will work with you with-in our policies for making up the class time missed.
We have a few days per year the Studio is closed, they are noted below. We never schedule classes on these dates so you are not paying for any days off.
School District Calendars – Mapleford Studio has students from many school districts in our Greater Rochester MN area and therefore we do not follow any school calendars.
Occasionally a class needs to be canceled because of bad weather or a teacher is sick and there is not a substitute available to hold your class. In these instances we work to reschedule the class or have students attend another class section. If you are not able to attend the make-up class or schedule to attend another section, your class time is lost.
If the student is sick and unable to attend a class day we do not refund any tuition. We do want to have you attend another Section of your class to make up the lost class time. It is the responsibility of the student/parent to initiate a make-up. The best avenue is through the contact page at our website, MaplefordStudio.com. On occasion we may set up an additional class meeting as a make-up class when there are many absences due to illness or bad weather in a session.
In regard to a lost class time, do remember we work hard to keep our tuition costs low. Compare our tuition to a private lesson at $25/half hour to $40/half hour locally.
Mapleford Annual Holiday Calendar:
- First day of class in January is January the 3rd
- Easter Weekend Thursday thru Sunday off
- Memorial Day Weekend – Sat thru Monday off
- Fourth of July Week – Sat to the next Sun off - 9 days
- Labor Day weekend Sat thru Monday off
- Thanksgiving – Wed thru Sunday off
- Christmas – Dec 22 thru Jan 2 off
Planned Absents– In the case of travel or conflict with other activities, we request advance notice for these known cancellations. Often a class time can be “made-up” in advance of the date which a student will be unavailable at their scheduled time.
At the Studio (For Individual Lessons)
Students are expected to arrive on time with all their books each week. We strongly recommend a canvas or zippered bag for student’s music and lesson books. (As a suggestion, the night before pack the music bag with the class materials and place by the door.) Parents are always welcome to wait in the studio during their students’ lesson. Students may wait in the waiting area quietly before or after their lesson. We request parents monitor their waiting children. We will be focused with a student and will not be able to monitor the activity of any waiting students. I expect parents to supervise and teach their children to stay in designated “studio areas” and to monitor all their children in the waiting areas and in the rest rooms. The waiting area has chairs and a activity box. An additional waiting option is in the lobby of the Health Club. They have tables, chairs, and coffee is available earlier in the day.
Practice Expectations (For Individual Lessons)
We expect students to be prepared for each lesson and to make weekly progress. This requires a commitment to going over the music lesson materials at home at least 5 to 6 days each week. Consistent daily practice is the key to enjoying lessons and having long-term success.
- Age 7-9: 25 minutes daily
- Age 10-13: 40 minutes daily
- Age 13 and up 45 to 90 minutes daily
These times are for basic advancement to progress and be successful. Students need a consistent time that is distraction free, with family encouragement, and should not have to practice while being rushed. It helps if the practice session is set and the student is able to keep concentration and focus on their music skills development. I encourage parents to frequently sit in at lessons, this way the parent is aware of what music they should be hearing at home.
As a thought…
A student chooses to take music lessons to learn an instrument. The lesson is just the time where the teacher steers the ongoing movement of the students’ efforts to play their instrument. Most of the ability of playing an instrument happens when the student is alone and applies the new elements gained at lesson by reviewing, practicing, and trying music outside of the lesson material. The teacher is important because they know many, many resources and can give the student individual assistance by giving or directing them to music or a skill which will help them take the next step or steps in their musical growth.
We use email, phone, or web page posts to send out information that you will need from time to time. Please make sure that we have a current email address and also phone numbers for you.
The best way to contact is through the website, in which case we will reply or call you. You may call but we may not be able to take phone calls while classes are in progress, after 9pm, or on weekends.
If you do not get a answer on either number leave a short message and try the other number. Thank you.
For more information click below to contact us: